( 1779 - 1871)
Born to Cap-Santé, on October 12th, 1779, son of Jean-Baptist Bertrand and Agathe Germain.
By 1790, lived in Pointe-Lévy with his parents and, in 1797, was Baker in the small seminary of Quebec. Becomes established in 1811 in Isle-Verte, where he held a store. In 1818-1819, leased the rights on the commonplace mill and the seigneury of the Green Island, title deeds of which he acquired in 1849. Also exploited sawmills, notably in company with Henry John Caldwell. Owner of a quay and boats.
Captain in the militia in 1827, become a chief warrant officer in 1847 and reached the rank of lieutenant-colonel in January, 1862. President-founder of the Company of agriculture of the county of Rimouski in 1848 and the literary Institute of The Green Isles in 1859.
With the help of his son Charles, he contributed to the development of the region in the XIXth century, at first in the export of the wood towards England, then in a foundry and in mills. The family was a part of the regional elite. Louis and Charles were also active on the political scene, in the municipal and in the federal
Died in Isles-Verte, September 11th, 1871, at the age of 91 years and 10 months.
Father of Charles Bertrand, delegated to the House of Commons of Canada.